Monday, November 22

Mitch's New Calling

On Sunday Nov 7th, Kenny and I were invited to visit with the Bishop before church.  I was released from serving as Cub Committee Chair and asked to serve at Primary President. (What?!?  WHO ME?!?)  Launa Downs was being called at Stake Primary President and I was asked to replace her. (Are you kidding me?  I don't want to replace Launa Downs!  NOBODY can do everything Launa does!)  I was in shock most the day.  Later the nerves really set in and Kenny was taking a nap on the couch so I called Mindy and asked her to go take a walk.  As soon as she answered the door, I started bawling.  (I can't do this!  I don't know anybody in this ward to call for councilors and secretary! I can't replace Launa!) Mindy reassured me and we planned a trip to the temple to pray over names.  I put together the most random list on paper.  Over and over, Jen Gasser's name came to mind.  But I fought it, knowing she had recently gone through a rough divorce and was struggling with the stress of being a single mom and working.  She didn't need this extra stress and added responsiblity.  But, the Lord was insistant and I finally surrenedered.  I took my short list into the temple and thought and prayed.  The list that came out was different than I walked in with, but I felt confident these were the women I needed to call.  I barely knew any of them. 
Keri Carson - first counselor
Jen Gasser - second counselor
Shaila Pew - Secretary
It wasn't until after I turned in the names that I was told Keri and Jen were friends, and Shaila's mom had once been Keri's YW leader and she had held Shaila as a baby.  We were sustained yesterday!

I am so nervous, worried, overwhelmed, etc, but excited to get to serve with and love these women more!  I'm so grateful they are willing to take this journey with me!

0 comments: