Tuesday, October 21

Thatcher and Globe

We decided to go to Thatcher to visit Kenny's parents over Conference weekend. We had a great time visiting and the kids had lots of fun playing in the backyard and playhouse. On our way home, Kenny's mom asked us to drop off some jam at the Standages in Globe. Since it was still light out (usually when we're making that drive, we are in a hurry or it's already dark) I told him to go show the kids Fourth Street. Globe is an old mining town where the settlers built their homes on all these crazy hills. (I always wonder why they wouldn't have looked for more level ground. Some of the homes are built with stilts under part of them, and some are actually leaning!) Anyway, I think 4th Street is the steepest street in town! When we were dating, Kenny's parents lived in Globe and he drove me around the back streets to the top of 4th street. It's nuts! As you approach the top, you can't even see the road, almost like a rollercoaster! It's very steep going down (I always wonder about our brakes!) so you go pretty fast and then the best part is there is a STOP sign at the very bottom, while the other direction goes straight through! I can't imagine trying to learn to drive a stick shift in this town! Anyway, the kids loved it!

3 comments:

meghannamarie said...

Yay! Fourth street! I remember that the truck (kenny's little pick-up) make it up some of the streets in Globe because they were to steep! Hey you should find a picture of that truck and blog about that!)

Adam - Janet - Owen - Caroline - Howie said...

the hills the houses are built on are pilings (sp?) from the mine. my s-i-l use to work at the mine about 10 years ago. the best mexican food i've ever had is there in globe!

Hatch's said...

And that, my friends, is why I CAN'T drive a stick!
p.s. I once drove the whole way down fourth street without stopping at any of the stop signs including the one where it meets up with the highway 60. I drove so fast through and looked to the left and there was a semi right there! I lived! I think the car might have died though! DUH!