Tuesday, June 3

Born on a Mountain Top in Tennessee...

I served as a soldier under General Andrew Jackson.
I also served in the Tennessee State Legislature and US Congress for 3 terms.
My hunting rifle, Old Betsy, was a reliable as the sun rising in the morning.
People say I had twice the strength of a bear.
I died while defending the Alamo.
Who am I?


As an end of the year project, Tyler had to pick a famous person from US history to research and report on. Of course he picked Davy Crockett (which we now know didn't actually go by Davy, but David). They worked really hard for over a month, then Mrs. Geisler invited all the parents in to present their projects. They each dressed up as their person, and had a "bio-riddle" memorized describing their person (one line had to be a metaphor and one a simile), then the parents had to try to guess who they were (many of us need to brush up on our US history!).
Afterward they set up their poster boards while we all walked around learned more about their projects. We learned that he didn't really wear a coonskin cap, but a felt hat. The coonskin cap was from a 1950's TV show. We also learned that nobody called him Davy until after his death when books were published about him exaggerating (and inventing) many of the great things he really did. Tyler did a great job and had a lot of fun learning all about David Crockett!


2 comments:

meghannamarie said...

Tyler is so cute! He does a great job presenting his report! I hope my kids can do as well in school as he does! He is who I look up to for my kids!

Hatch's said...

Tyler is a cutie! I am proud of him. Good job Tyler!