Monday, August 2

Bee Allergy

We had been married several years before Megan told me Kenny was allergic to bees. I guess it had just never come up before. He got stung once as a kid and it swelled up like crazy. I didn't think much more about it and put it in the back of my brain. After moving into this house, we realized there were several bees hanging out on the side of our house near the shed. We have lots of plants and flowers in the yard so it seemed natural. After a while though, we noticed lots of bees coming and going from under our shed. We told the kids to stay away and if we leave them alone, they will leave us alone. We bought some spray, which killed a few, but didn't really help. One day Kenny was out front pulling weeds and a bee stung him on his head. I wasn't home, but Megan was here talking with him when it happened. After I got home, Megan was kind of concerned and reminded me Kenny was allergic - I had totally forgotten. He seemed OK, so we thought maybe he had outgrown his allergy.

Our bee problem continued to grow, so last spring I called a company to come get rid of them. The exterminator was surprised how many were there. He told us he could spray them, but they had built a hive and honeycomb under our shed and it would need to be removed or the bees (a new group) would return. It cost $80 just to spray them and he quoted us $300 additional to come back after the bees were dead to remove the hive. That seemed rather expensive. I thought once the bees were dead, we could pull up the floorboards in the shed and remove it ourselves. Problem was, it was tax season - so it didn't happen. And new bees returned.

Now every time Kenny goes out to mow the lawn, the bees follow him. It's like they can smell him. He gets stung almost every time. I tried helping him once and got stung as well. His skin gets really red and hot and swollen. It's terrible. Benedryl helps some, but I can only imagine if he got stung multiple times. He would need to go to the hospital for sure! SO... Does anyone have a bee-suit so Kenny can mow our lawn?

0 comments: