Friday, August 13

New Teachers

At our kids school they group kids in 'learning levels.' Within each grade there are different levels where each teacher teaches a different range based on how the kids are progressing. The entire class is in the same range so the teacher can take as much or little time needed to cover a concept before moving on. It helps each child learn at the level they are most comfortable at, without moving too fast or too slow or needing to change grade levels.

Sometimes (especially at the beginning of the year) they will move kids up or down a level, depending on the pace and curriculum of a certain class. Some parents get very competitive about what level their child is in, so it is not discussed by the staff. I don't care if they are in the top level or not, I just want them to be in the right place for THEM so they can get the most benefit. When Tyler first started at Noah Webster in first grade, he took a placement test (which he did terrible on, because the kid next to him kept talking out loud, making him second guess his own answers) and they placed him in a class. Within the first few days of school his teacher called and said they needed to move him up a few levels because his reading was more advanced. So he went to a new class the next day. The new teacher called me that night and said he needed to move down one level because although his reading was advanced, his math wasn't yet. So moving him down a level would allow him to learn the math, but also maintain his reading level. Within one week he had 3 teachers and was pretty confused, but it ended up being the perfect place for him. He hasn't been moved again since, and neither had Ryan, so I figured they were right where they should be and didn't think about the 'learning levels' again. Until this year...

About a week into school, I got a call from McKay's teacher, Ms. DeMarco, saying they wanted to move Mckay up a level. She said he was completing his work quickly, following directions, and could move at a quicker pace than she would be teaching in her class. I knew Mckay was ready for school and could handle something more challenging, but I loved his teacher and was sad to see her go. I took him to school the next day to meet his new teacher, Mrs. Gibson. She was super nice and there were other kids moving from his old class, which made the transition easier. No problem. Once he was settled, I left to run my errands for the day.

A few hours later, I got a call from Ryan's teacher, Mrs. Stull, saying they wanted to move Ryan up a level as well. I was a little more concerned this time. We really struggled with Ryan's ADHD last year. It was such a fight to get his homework done and keep him focused. He changed medications several times, and I wasn't convinced it was making enough of a difference... until I took him off for the summer, and started him back on them right before school started. It was AMAZING!! He was so focused and obedient. He cleaned his entire (MESSY) room by himself. He told me several times he had "an URGE to clean." He could sit and read for hours! At school, I had prepped Mrs Stull that he would need help, but she said she had NEVER had a problem with his attention yet. At home, he started right on his homework as soon as he walked in the door. He was already half way through the 2nd Harry Potter book - after only one week reading it. It was like he was a robot - but in a good way. BUT I am afraid of it wearing off, or weakening. What happens if we move him up and later he can't focus any more and gets overwhelmed. I can't handle a year like last year again! After voicing my concerns with Mrs. Stull, which she agreed with, she assured me that most of her current class struggled with math last year and they would essentially be repeating most of the math book Ryan used last year. Ryan didn't need that and was ready to move on. The reading would be near the same level in both classes. That helped me. I knew Ryan had never struggled with new concepts, just the pace of class when he was distracted and unfocused. Mrs. Stull suggested that he may get bored if he were to stay, and that would cause problems focusing as well. I agreed and felt it was best for him to move up, although again, I loved his teacher and was sad to see her go. She told me he would finish the week in her class and start his new class on Monday. So, I went to meet his new teacher, Mrs. Robinson, on Friday. She was very nice and Ryan already knew many of his new classmates from last year.

In the end, I think the transitions were more difficult for me than for the kids... getting everyone settled and routines re-established. I know they are where they should be.

0 comments: